Coming soon!

PIE > CAKE!!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

J. S. Bach Chorale # 251 Ich bin ja, Herr, in deiner Macht

Translation: I am indeed, Lord, in thy power.

When I began making these videos I only knew about the MAM player.  I was quite impressed with its possibilities.  However after making a few videos I became frustrated with the difficulties of obtaining good quality video from the MAM.  I spend my free time over several days and found a few interesting visualizers.  Most of them, while amazingly beautiful, were too abstract for what I wanted.  Morphyre is my favorite from the abstract bunch, although there are many good ones.

Other programs I found require some programming skills.  There are some videos using the processing language on youtube for example that are really good.  After seeing these I am motivated to learn that language.  I know nothing about these things, so I expect it will take a year or two before I can use processing to make videos. 

The program I used for this video is called simply Midivis.  It can be found here: http://www.horningabout.com/midivis/
There is no license that I could find, so I assume it is freeware.  I will be emailing the creator with a thanks and a link to my video after it is up.

This visualizer is similar to the MAM player, but has a 3d- rotational view.  Also it is more stable.  I was able to get a much better quality video out of this thing compared to the MAM player.  At this point it is a matter of fudging with frame rates and other technical details to get better quality.  Since I know almost nothing about such things, it is a process of trail and error.

I chose this chorale simply because I liked it.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I sight read through one or two of these every day.  While they are not all zingers, the best of them are quite beautiful.  This one in particular had a nice baroque feel to it.  I also wanted something fairly short to try out this new (to me) visualizer.  I saw no point in do a project that required 20 hours of work if the end result was not good.

Along the lines of trying out new things, I chose the monologue synth that came with Cubase 5.  I have so many instruments available to me that it is hard to choose one.  Between cubase stock and komplete 6, I have acess to literally thousands of sounds.  That is more than I will every likely use.  Monologue was prommising at first, but ended up being a big dud.  Nonetheless I pressed forward with it.  If I never use these things for projects, I will never know what I have at my disposal.  Also, I now know that if I want a particular sound, I should look elsewhere.

The main problem with monologue is instability.  Starting notes or notes after a pause were particularly bad but there were plenty of other annoyances.  The instrument first came with cubase sx2 according to sound on sound. It feels like it has been updated with the digital version of duct tape, whatever that is.  It barely limps along.  There are better quality mono synths that can be had for free, although they do not look as nice as this one.  The only reason I stuck with monologue was the sheer challenge of it.  Could I get a good sound from a bad instrument?  I think I got an o.k. sound but not great.  How will I ever learn anything if I only use great instruments like absynth?

video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUrElPZ2hU

No comments:

Post a Comment