Coming soon!

PIE > CAKE!!!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Project notes: Zwei Praeludien op 39 by Beethoven

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q7kA_U_XCY

This video was a long project mostly because of demands on my time such as the birth of a new infant.  I kept working at it even when I only had a few minutes to spare.

This piece was challenging to sequence because it is Beethoven's version of counterpoint.  This basically means that instead of worrying about one melody, I had to shape several melodies that happened simultaneously, bringing each one out.

Some may be surprised by the liberties I have taken with this performance.   The phrasing and tempo changes that I used are a little unusual.  However one goal that I always have is to create a new interpretation of a work.  Why make a pale imitation of what a pianist recorded?  There are so many talented musicians that there is little point to attempt an emulation of a past performance.  One on my main influences along these lines is Glen Gould.  Quite often his performances would be less than good (I am thinking of recordings such as Rondo alla Turca).  however he usually tried something different to make the performance his own, and when he was on it was amazing.  Some of my favorite (and least favorite) performances were recorded by Gould.  Of course the risk I take is that many will not like my own interpretation.  However I prefer that to a bland performance. 

The visualizer used for this video is the Music Animation Machine, which can be found here: http://www.musanim.com/player/

I sequenced this using Cubase and Kontakt.

No comments:

Post a Comment