Coming soon!

PIE > CAKE!!!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Project Notes: J. S. Bach Chorale One, Aus Meines Herzens Grunde

 Aus Meines Herzens Grunde, or From the depths of my heart.

This is from Bach's famous (infamous for music theory students) 371 harmonized chorales.  I sight read one or two of these at the piano every day during my warm up.  I always imagine what it would sound like if I used some synth patch or crazy sample instead of a piano.  I also want to see them in the MAM player.  I plan to do a series of videos on these chorales, and who knows maybe I will eventually get through all 371 of them.
I chose the first chorale because I did not really know which one to pick.  Why not start at the beginning?  My next one will be number forty two of course.

The sounds used are stock samples of the Rhodes I piano that came with the kontakt library.  I really like the Rhodes sound, it is one of my favorite instruments.  In case some of you are not familiar with this instrument, it is an electro-mechanical piano.  It has hammers that strike small metal tines to produce a sound.  I will defiantly make more videos featuring this instrument.

I took a pretty simple approach to this one.  After my last two projects, I wanted something that was fun and on the shorter side.  The video quality is not the best in this one.  For some reason when I use the scrolling lines view of the MAM player, I get lots of jitters no matter what I do.  I see this on other videos as well.  I think it has to do with the video capture not doing such a good job with horizontal motion.  Also the edges are very sharp, so any tiny shake or jitter is very obvious.

I did the usual with the audio.  I worked on phrasing, mixing, and mastering.  The voices are panned to make them more distinct.  I also used some slight eq as well.  The mastering side of things was pretty basic, just a high pass filter to roll off the extreme lows and a brick wall limiter to prevent clipping.  I made the repeat of the first section a bit quieter.  This is to imitate the terraced dynamics that you might encounter in baroque music.  It sounds a little weird on this instrument, but overall I felt it was better than just having the repeat at the same volume.

I hope you enjoy this video, the next one will be up soon!

link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9PVh6bIy4

No comments:

Post a Comment